Book Recommendation

Summer in the Texas Panhandle has descended upon us and is pummeling us with her hot, grubby fists.  Yesterday I believe the mercury rose to 106.  I don’t have my pool yet.  The problem lies in deciding where to put it. 

Do I:

a) put it in the backyard fully covered by a fence with absolutely no grass and let it become a mucky, muddy, mess? 

b) put it outside of the fence-shielded backyard and run the risk of passersby seeing me in my string bikini? 

c)  quit my crazy dreaming that I’ll ever wear a bikini again as long as I live.

You know what’s crazy?  Even when I could’ve worn a bikini, I didn’t.  I always have been self-conscious of myself in a bathing suit.  Still am, but so is 98% of all the other women out there.  The other 2%, I’m sure you’ve seen them too.

Since my swimming pool is not up and ready, and it was too hot to be outside for this delicate flower, I decided to hole up yesterday and read.  I spent my day reading Heaven is For Real and I must give it 2 thumbs up.

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back [Book]

It is written by Todd Burpo whose not yet four-year old son undergoes an emergency appendectomy and months later begins to relate to his family about his trip to heaven. 

Being the staunch skeptic that I am, I read the book with, well, skepticism.  And lots of it.  Because that’s how I roll.  But by the end of the book, I was convinced this young man really experienced the things he claimed to have experienced.

It’s an easy read.  It’s a can’t-put-it-down kind of book.  It’s a book you shouldn’t keep, but should pass on to someone else.  It gives hope.  It answers questions.  It causes the doubting Thomas’s of the world (like me) to have faith in things they haven’t seen and believe that others are blessed to get to see them.

If you’re a reader, you should read it.  And if you’re not a reader, you should read it.  It’s worth it.

And since I didn’t do a blasted thing yesterday except read and eat and sleep, today I must crack the whip at myself and get some things accomplished.

But first, I just thought of one good thing about it being so hot. 
I didn’t see a snake yesterday!
I stayed in the cool and they did too.






  1. Lenore Diane says:

    I’ve added the book recommendation to my list. My boss actually has the book on her desk, as I type. Perhaps she’d let me borrow it.

    Bikini. I don’t know that I’ve ever had a bikini body – regardless, I’ve never worn one. A one piece swimsuit to me is like sweats. I just feel more comfortable and relaxed in a one piece. A bikini? It would be like wearing a dress, hose and heals. I rarely do dresses, hose and heals. Pass the sweats, please.

    Your in my thoughts, Angel, as I hear about the fires out west. Now the smoke is reaching Texas. May you have rain soon – real soon. ~ Lenore


    1. Angel says:

      I still feel bad in a one piece. These days I opt for the old lady skirt kind. With a coverup. Thanks for thinking of us. We’re doing okay.


  2. judith says:

    Daryl read the book last spring and suggested that I read it. I have even listened to a couple next to me at a local cafe discussing this book. I have mixed feelings about it. Did it really convince you?


  3. Becky Snelgrooes says:

    Hey Angel, I’m sure you are not as big a fan of baseball as me but Josh Hamilton, who plays for the Texas Rangers, wrote a biography called Beyond Belief. It’s about an amazing beginning to his professional career, his fall from glory because of drug use, and his miraculous rise back to sobriety, baseball, and a renewed commitment to his family and God. It’s an excellent book.


    1. Angel says:

      Hey Becky!! Thanks for commenting and your right, I’m not as big a baseball fan as you. I might try the book though.


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s